How important are these parts & Geeetech crazyflie?

Discussions and questions about the Crazyflie Nano Quadcopter
brod
Beginner

How important are these parts & Geeetech crazyflie?

Post by brod »

I just helped a friend fix his crazyflie, the motor soldering was very bad (not that its easy at all) and during the process he accidentally de soldered the little black smb things between each motors through holes.. see pic.

Also I noticed his crazyflie is made by Geeetech, is this a genuine crazyflie? he says he paid the same amount and everything and appears to be 100% compatible so far.

Brod.
DerShu
Beginner

Re: How important are these parts & Geeetech crazyflie?

Post by DerShu »

brod wrote:I just helped a friend fix his crazyflie, the motor soldering was very bad (not that its easy at all) and during the process he accidentally de soldered the little black smb things between each motors through holes.. see pic.

Also I noticed his crazyflie is made by Geeetech, is this a genuine crazyflie? he says he paid the same amount and everything and appears to be 100% compatible so far.

Brod.
If that clone board used the same parts placement as a real genuine Bitcraze Crazyflie, then the missing parts you pointed out are clamp diodes to protect the driver FETS from the back EMF of the motors. There should be one for each motor. Without them the Crazyflie "might" work for a few minutes, but eventually the back EMF will very likely destroy the motor's driver FET.
brod
Beginner

Post by brod »

Thankyou Dershu, I will tell him to look into getting replacement parts before the next flight.Also, are you confirming that Geeetech is not genuine?
DerShu
Beginner

Post by DerShu »

brod wrote:Thankyou Dershu, I will tell him to look into getting replacement parts before the next flight.Also, are you confirming that Geeetech is not genuine?
I can not say that Geeetech is not a genuine accurate copy of the Crazyflie, but I recall one of the original developers on here recently commenting on someone elses photograph concerning a clone copy. The authentic Crazyflie devices that I have seen all have the Bitcraze logo silkscreened on the PC board. AFAIK, the only producer of authentic Crazyflie kits is Seeed Technology Inc.
http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/Crazyf ... /?ref=side
marcus
Bitcraze

Post by marcus »

Hi,

The Geeetech clone of the Crazyflie is not in any way affiliated with Bitcraze or Seeedstudio. The only version of the Crazyflie that is "authentic" (i.e. manufactured according to our BOM and test-specification) is the one available from Seeedstudio and it's distributors. We strive for keeping high quality and have therefore spent lots of time selecting the correct parts and created test cases that are run before our units leave the factory. Another thing is that these units seems to be based off our design files. Since the license of our hardware design is CC-BY-NC-SA, this is clearly a violation of that license. We have contacted Geeetech about all this and will sum it up in a blog post very soon.