[SOLVED] CF 2.0 drifts like crazy

Post here to get support
kamila
Beginner

[SOLVED] CF 2.0 drifts like crazy

Post by kamila »

Hi all,

I unpacked my CF 2.0 yesterday and have been trying to learn to fly it ever since. It is my first QC ever, so I am not experienced, but I am quite sure the behavior I am seeing is not what should be happening.

The problem: When I push the throttle, the CF does not go straight up, it instead shoots to the right and back rather fast. Both me and some more experienced pilots have this problem, and setting trim in the Android app controller does not have a noticeable effect.

At first I had thought this had something to do with the IMU (like a miscalibrated accelerometer), but then this weird thing happened: a friend broke both the motor holder and the propeller on M4, I changed it for new ones when I got home, and suddenly the CF went up (at least for the 2 or so times when I tried). Then my mum wanted to try it, and she broke the motor holder on M4 which I had changed just a few minutes ago, and after attaching a new one, the CF goes to the right and back again (but this time slightly less to the side and more backward).

I do not have the Crazyradio yet, as it was out of stock when I ordered, so I can't get any data out of the CF, and due to my lack of experience I have no idea where to start. Am I assembling it wrong? What should I check? (As for the obvious things: the propellers' orientation is correct and it all "looks OK to me".)
Last edited by kamila on Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chad
Expert

Re: CF 2.0 drifts like crazy

Post by chad »

Double-check that the propellers are not pushed down on the motor too far. If they bind even in the slightest, it can slow the propeller and cause weird flight characteristics. Also, have you balanced the propellers? That will help quite a bit. Finally, make sure all motors are fully seated in the mount (all the way down) and that all mounts are fully seated on the arms (all the way in).

If you still have some drifting issues, try swapping the propellers to see if things change (i.e. move one CCW prop to the other CCW arm and move one CW prop to the other CW arm). That will help isolate a prop balance problem as it should change the drift direction if a propeller is to blame.

One last thing you can try is to disable the "yaw" on the Android app. I'm not sure how to do this on the Android app (I have an iPhone) but it might help learning to fly without having the extra input...
Crazyflier - my CF journal...
4x Crazyflie Nano (1.0) 10-DOF + NeoPixel Ring mod.
3x Crazyflie 2.0 + Qi Charger and LED Decks.
Raspberry Pi Ground Control.
Mac OS X Dev Environment.
Walkera Devo7e, ESky ET6I, PS3 and iOS Controllers.
kamila
Beginner

Post by kamila »

Thanks for the response! It ended up being a bad motor on M2 (and I have absolutely no idea what that episode with M4 motor mount was about). Sad, as the CF was just unpacked, but I bought 2 spare ones in addition to the one in the package. So, hopefully now I'll be able to actually start flying :-)

I thought about disabling yaw, but looks like I'll have to wait for the radio to do that.

Thanks again!
ArthurA
Beginner

Post by ArthurA »

kamila wrote:Thanks for the response! It ended up being a bad motor on M2 (and I have absolutely no idea what that episode with M4 motor mount was about). Sad, as the CF was just unpacked, but I bought 2 spare ones in addition to the one in the package. So, hopefully now I'll be able to actually start flying :-)

I thought about disabling yaw, but looks like I'll have to wait for the radio to do that.

Thanks again!
If you want to disable yaw and you're on the android client, you can just click the settings cog->flight control settings->tick advanced flight control->advanced flight control preferences->set max yaw angle to 0.