Internal battery charge controller?

Post here to get support
ion
Beginner

Internal battery charge controller?

Post by ion »

Hi all,

It's been a while since I've been able to play with my crazyflie.
I've been testing different batteries of different sizes on 2 of my drones (Another one I picked up from Radioshack).
Anyways, I've taken apart quite a number of electronics just to get at the batteries.

Since I broke my latest pair of JBL Bluetooth headphones [snapped in half] - it was wise to salvage the battery from them. But I'm having some issues.
I have only a partial model # because the other end was taken off when the adhesive came off the inside of the speaker.

Model: AEC60263(?) looks like more characters
445mAh
1.5465 wh

Now I'm no engineer, but I can definitely tell if I give it any thrust at all the battery goes into panic mode and shuts off. So that's no good...
It charged fine, holds a charge and can idle but I can't take off or get the blades to spin for more than a half second!

Now I know the culprit is obviously the battery's onboard controller - the question is, does the crazyflie have a built-in charge controller if I wire it directly?
If not, what would be a good chip to replace it with?

Note: the tape I used covers where the letters and numbers WERE. They are cut off from the adhesive.

Also, I soldered the battery directly to the pins because I lost the actual connector on another battery I swapped on it.

Thanks in advance,
Charles
Slaxx

Re: Internal battery charge controller?

Post by Slaxx »

Batteries for Bluetooth headphones are definitely not suitable for RC toys. RC batteries have to deliver high current. Thats usually shown with the 20C or what is written on the battery. For example a 20C, 450mAh battery can deliver up to 9A continously and 18A peak.
General batteries as for headphones, FPV goggles etc. can usually just handle up to 5C, which is probably not enough for flying. Therefore only use batteries that are suitable for RC models.
ion
Beginner

Re: Internal battery charge controller?

Post by ion »

Fair enough, so I guess I'm looking for a new battery instead of trying to modify the current one.

I've collected a good number of batteries, most of which are too large for the crazyflie anyways.

What's the longest running R/C battery that works?