[SOLVED] Crazyflie 2.0 LED-Ring Extension

Post here to get support
4240Benny
Beginner

[SOLVED] Crazyflie 2.0 LED-Ring Extension

Post by 4240Benny »

Hi Community!

I received my Crazyflie 2.0 LED-Ring extension board today. I attach it to my Crazyflie 2.0. How can I turn on the LED's? There is no instruction in the WIKI, the forum or the web.
I hope, you can help me,

Best regards,
Benjamin Stuetz

P.S: Sorry for my bad english :(
chonchonchon
Beginner

Re: Crazyflie 2.0 LED-Ring Extension

Post by chonchonchon »

Hello,

I received mine too, the led-ring board light up at start perfectly.

Check the board... there is a direction logo on it.
or find the pin number 1 (written on the PCB) on the CF and ensure it's aligned with pin 1 on the led ring.

hope it help.
chad
Expert

Post by chad »

You can control the LED lighting effect in the Parameters tab of the client application. Look for the "ring" section and find the variable "effect" and the constant "neffect" there. You can change the lighting effects by changing the "effect" value to any number from 0 to the value of "neffect" (inclusive). The constant neffect is the number of effects available. This might be 8 but could change in custom or future versions of the Crazyflie firmware. I think the firmware sets the effect value to 7 by default (all LEDs glowing steady "white" color).

In the "ring" section you can also enable/disable the headlights with either a 1 or 0 (respectively) in the headlightEnable parameter, and fiddle with the glow step and RGB values as well.

If you're sure the LED expansion board (Flykit) is installed in the correct orientation, and it still isn't lit, check the effect value in the Parameters tab of the client application. Try changing the number to see if that affects anything. If you don't have a "ring" section in the Parameters tab, the firmware you're running (strangely) doesn't support the LED ring. Download an official release that does and update your Crazyflie. If none of this helps, you likely have another issue, maybe hardware related.
Crazyflier - my CF journal...
4x Crazyflie Nano (1.0) 10-DOF + NeoPixel Ring mod.
3x Crazyflie 2.0 + Qi Charger and LED Decks.
Raspberry Pi Ground Control.
Mac OS X Dev Environment.
Walkera Devo7e, ESky ET6I, PS3 and iOS Controllers.
4240Benny
Beginner

Post by 4240Benny »

First of all, thank you for the quick answers! I checket all options and updatet the firmware and the Crazyflie PC Client. At the startup-log the Crazyflie 2.0 says the following:

Code: Select all

INFO:cflib.crazyflie.mem:OW 0DC49008000000D0 <BC:01>: {'Board revision': 'B', 'Board name:' 'bcLedRing'}
I think, that means, that the LED-Ring was found. But it still won't shine.
I hope, you can help me.

With best regards,
Benjamin Stuetz
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

Hmm, might be something HW related then. Do you have any electronics experience and access to a multimeter? The LED ring schematics can be found here.

I'm thinking it is either the expansion board power out from the Crazyflie 2.0. Or the DC/DC converter on the LED ring board.

Are you able to turn on the head light by setting the headlightEnable parameter to 1 in the cfclient parameter tab when connected?
4240Benny
Beginner

Post by 4240Benny »

I tried to turn on the front LEDs but it doesn't work. Unfortunately I have no experience with a multimeter :(. Is there anything I can do/test in the PC-Client?
marcus
Bitcraze

Post by marcus »

4240Benny wrote:I tried to turn on the front LEDs but it doesn't work. Unfortunately I have no experience with a multimeter :(. Is there anything I can do/test in the PC-Client?
In the client you can go to the Parameter tab after you have connected and try to change the parameters ring.headlightEnable and ring.effect. It seems as if the board is detected correctly, so it's connected the right way. Any chance you could take a picture of the top of the board (where the component are, not the ring of LEDs) and post it here? If you can get access to a multimeter it would be easier to debug. So if that's possible we can give you directions on where to measure. Also make sure there's nothing wrong with the pins for the expansion. Do they all seem to enter the connector correctly?
4240Benny
Beginner

Post by 4240Benny »

Okay, I checked the parameters, unfortunately without success. The pins seems to connect rightly. I bought yesterday also a multimeter, so could you please give me the directions where to measure? Thank you.

Here is the LED-Ring electronics picrure:
The LED-Ring electronics
The LED-Ring electronics
chad
Expert

Post by chad »

The component (power inductor?) at L1 looks different from mine. Did it get broken off?
Attachments
Component L1
Component L1
2r2.png (115.01 KiB) Viewed 6975 times
Crazyflier - my CF journal...
4x Crazyflie Nano (1.0) 10-DOF + NeoPixel Ring mod.
3x Crazyflie 2.0 + Qi Charger and LED Decks.
Raspberry Pi Ground Control.
Mac OS X Dev Environment.
Walkera Devo7e, ESky ET6I, PS3 and iOS Controllers.
marcus
Bitcraze

Post by marcus »

4240Benny wrote:Okay, I checked the parameters, unfortunately without success. The pins seems to connect rightly. I bought yesterday also a multimeter, so could you please give me the directions where to measure? Thank you.

Here is the LED-Ring electronics picrure:
LED-Ring.jpg
It seems as if L1 has broken off and this is definitely this cause of your problems. It should look like the image chad posted. Was it delivered like that? Could you check the bag to see if it's in there?