[Hover Mode] Testing and setting Parameters

Firmware/software/electronics/mechanics
phiamo

Re: [Hover Mode] Testing and setting Parameters

Post by phiamo »

You need to set the debug parameter to 0 in the parameters tab, its prevents the fly from just escaping after you flashed ...
TheHobbyGuy
Beginner

Post by TheHobbyGuy »

Hi all,
I am a N00b, so please forgive me for maybe asking an obvious question.
I am using the Bitcraze VM. I have downloaded the latest Hover Mode CFClient and the Hovermode Hover Firmware from phiamo's branch.
I have run the HM CFCclient and I can use the CF as normal (with default branch firmware) and I have a xbox controller setup with "Y" as my button to enable Hover Mode.
I can see in the UI that my controller can enable Hover Mode. I then made the HM Firmware and bootloaded the HM Firmware BIn to the Crazyflie.
When I connect the CF to the CFClient I can see values change, but motor do not spin. So I am guessing it has to do something with the stabilizer.debug mentioned in the first post.
OK, here is my question - where do i set stabilizer.debug so the motors will receive power? Or is there something else I am missing?

Thanks,
TheHobbyGuy
rmirwin2

Post by rmirwin2 »

Hello HobbyGuy!
Have you set the "debug" parameter inside of the "Parameters" tab to "0" to turn off debugging? As compiled, Philip's Hover code defaults to debug=1, so the motors won't spin. It's for safety. Let us know!
Rich
VGer's v1.7.1 frame, 10DOF Crazyflie, Wireless Xbox360 Controller, Virtual Machine on VMware/Windows 7
ak1331
Beginner

Post by ak1331 »

Hello,
I have been able to checkout phiamo's firmware and pc-client with hover mode. I can compile and have loaded the firmware into the crazyflie.
I have configured frontech-gamepad to control various settings. I can see the hover button works in the device configure UI.
But when i fly the crazyflie, the hover mode doesn't seem to do anything. Is it possible for me to see any visual changes in the GUI (somehow) if my button is working.
I noticed the "mode" varialble in the parameters tab is always set to zero, even if i toggle the hover with the gamepad.
rmirwin2

Post by rmirwin2 »

Hello ak1331, please check my previous post for a suggestion!
Rich
VGer's v1.7.1 frame, 10DOF Crazyflie, Wireless Xbox360 Controller, Virtual Machine on VMware/Windows 7
TheHobbyGuy
Beginner

Post by TheHobbyGuy »

That worked! Thanks!
I did not realize the parameters where in the UI. I just had to enable the tab and set the parameter and all is good.

It works great. I notice that if I first Hover as best I can then hit hover mode, I get a very slow sink. If i am climbing just a little, I get a very little climb.
It seems roll, pitch, yaw are all functional during hover mode. Perhaps "Throttle" could change from throttle to altitude adjustment during hover mode. Just a thought - or perhaps i jsut need to read more and it supposed to do that already.
ak1331
Beginner

Post by ak1331 »

Hello,
I can't seem to get the hover mode working. It flies to an altitude and I try enabling hover, but it would immediately drop dead on ground.
I have compiled Philip's firmware code burnt the .bin file using radio.
Neither can i see the parameters updating in the parameters tab - should they update when its flying?
Please help.
ak1331
Beginner

Post by ak1331 »

rmirwin2 wrote:Hello ak1331, please check my previous post for a suggestion!
Rich
Rich,
I dont even see a stabilizer.debug variable i only have stabilizer.mode which is set to zero by default. I tried setting it to 1, but no change.
Another question should the values in parameter tab change when it flies or it goes into hover mode. because in my case that doesn't happen either. i just see static values.
I have attached my parameters tab's screenshot.
Attachments
Parameters Tab
Parameters Tab
rmirwin2

Post by rmirwin2 »

Hello ak1331,
Looking at your screenshot I agree that debug is missing which suggests something is wrong with one of the installs, and also that you're not yet on the latest version in the repository (where Kalman is removed). I'd suggest using TortouseHg to make sure you have Added the latest versions of Hover firmware and Hover client code to your local system. I'd do a "Clean" before re-building the new firmware and try again!

When looking at the Parameter tab when connected to the 'Crazyflie, you should see the debug=1 parameter near mode=0. The only thing changing in real time within the Parameters tab should be the mode parameter changing from 0 to 1 when you click the "Hover" button. A second click of Hover should return the value to 0.

Hope that helps!
Rich
jtang613
Beginner

Post by jtang613 »

After flashing Phiamo's latest firmware and setting debug=0, my motors still refuse to spin. I can toggle mode and my mappings are setup. I can even see the thrust flight control widget adjusting, but the motors are still. Any ideas?

Perhaps I'll recompile with debug=0.