Android client with basic support for PS3 controller

Firmware/software/electronics/mechanics
veeduber

Re: Android client with basic support for PS3 controller

Post by veeduber »

Hey Thanks surrender. That is exactly what I was hoping for! So I am closer to getting airborne.

I am fairly certain I know which USB adapter to get, but if you have a link, that'd be cool too.
derf
Expert

Post by derf »

@veeduber
Just for clarification:
You only need the Y-cable if you want to connect a PS3 controller (or something similar) to your
Android phone via USB to control the Crazyflie. If you have a rooted phone you can use the sixaxis app
to connect a PS3 controller via Bluetooth instead.
As Surrender said, otherwise you just need the OTG-cable to connect the Crazyradio to your phone.

While the on-screen controls work, I'd not recommend to use them for your first flight lessons. Please use
the Crazyflie client on a PC/Mac with a PS3 controller for that.
veeduber

Post by veeduber »

Thanks for the clarification. my primary phone is not rooted, although I do have another handset that is.

I don't have a ps3 controller, so that is another thing I'd have to pick up. the only rush is that I plan on demoing this at a 'hack night' @ my office this week.
Michael
Beginner

Post by Michael »

First thanks for this really nice client app. It works great and gives a lot of fun flying "real wireless" .

With the advanced flight control i have a little problem. All parameters like max roll/pitch, yaw etc. are working fine.
but the max thrust works only until the value 65% is achieved. Values above 65% are shown at the client but the motors are rotating at min thrust or a little above.
This happens with on screen controller and ps3 controller and it doesent matter witch mode is selected (i'm using mode 2).
Any idea to fix this or is a client update necessary ?

Regards

Michael
derf
Expert

Post by derf »

@Michael
Looking through the wiki again, I found the following line, which probably explains the reason:
"Thrust is an integer value ranging from 10001 (next to no power) to 60000 (full power)."
-> http://wiki.bitcraze.se/projects:crazyf ... l_commands

Currently the thrust value in the app is multiplied by 1000 and ranges from 20% to 100%. I will
change the code so 100% thrust corresponds to the max thrust value of 60000.

Thanks for reporting this bug!
Surrender
Expert

Post by Surrender »

@veeduber: I never had a ps3 or a xbox controller, I started with the droidmote virtual joystick and ended with the eSky. Maybe it is not the easiest way but you can learn it all.
So you don't need one - you can try it without ps3 controller and if you like it, go on. ;)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
SuperRoach

Post by SuperRoach »

I'm hoping to use this software at Pax this week to control my crazyflie as well, do you think there will be a compiled version available with the thrust int fix?
*edit*
On a Galaxy S 3, I get a Cannot open file error when trying to open the downloaded apks for the past three releases on https://bitbucket.org/fredg02/crazyflie ... /downloads
derf
Expert

Post by derf »

@SuperRoach
Sure, I'll try to put in the fix tonight.

About the "cannot open file error":
-Did it ever work for you? (I guess this is a general problem, because it doesn't work on my phone either, regardless of which browser or which version of the APK I use)
-Workaround: use a file manager like "ASTRO File Manager" to open the file.
Michael
Beginner

Post by Michael »

@derf
Great... thanks for this fast response.
I understood the problem after reading your post and the wiki.
I'm a absolute newbie with this kind of stuff but i'm very interested in learning and understanding these things

Regards

Michael
derf
Expert

Post by derf »

@Michael & SuperRoach
I uploaded a new version that contains the max thrust value fix:
https://bitbucket.org/fredg02/crazyflie ... -07-17.apk

Please test and report back.