Inflight socket for extention port.

Firmware/software/electronics/mechanics
BillyBag2

Inflight socket for extention port.

Post by BillyBag2 »

Anyone found some good parts for the extention socket to use in flight. ie remove the need to solder stuff directly without adding a lot of weight.
I guess a pin array would be best. (not sure of the dimentions.) but what about a light connecter?

I do not want to add payload but would like to remove HW easily.
Also need to be relativly cheap.
BillyBag2

Re: Inflight socket for extention port.

Post by BillyBag2 »

OK, RTFM with regards to the dimentions.
http://wiki.bitcraze.se/projects:crazyf ... ion_header
BillyBag2

Post by BillyBag2 »

Ok, I looked through my spairs and came across the pin headers for the expantion port. I guess its provided for JTAG debug but I can use it for the SPI expantion, which is what I want.
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

Yes, that's the idea of it but if you will do development you might need the JTAG as well or? The holes are designed to fit 1.27mm headers which comes in a lot of flavours.
BillyBag2

Post by BillyBag2 »

Still not found a good part to connect onto it, small light available cheaply in low numbers.
I don't want to perminently solder a payload as it is experimental.
tobias wrote:Yes, that's the idea of it but if you will do development you might need the JTAG as well or? The holes are designed to fit 1.27mm headers which comes in a lot of flavours.
I now have a spare, could end up fitting both.
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

How about using a 1.27mm pitch female through-hole header such as this, 2x10pin available here, as a base soldered to the Crazyflie (or the opposite)? You could then use the male pin headers on the prototyping part?
BillyBag2

Post by BillyBag2 »

tobias wrote:How about using a 1.27mm pitch female through-hole header such as this, 2x10pin available here, as a base soldered to the Crazyflie (or the opposite)? You could then use the male pin headers on the prototyping part?
Thanks, this is great. The findchips site is very useful, never seen it before. Harwins part numbers are way too flexable and finding a stockest is dificult. But the parts you have found look ideal and look to be available.

I'm thinking about fitting 2x5 pin header on reverse of the board and using a 2x5 female with wires soldered on it (dispite it being a PCB part.)

I think a connector on the component side would foul the battery too much.

Having the pins on the bottom could be a shorting hazard, although the bare board as it is is not without it's risks. I will look to order the parts and make the desision before fitting. May have to make up an order of other stuff to dull the shipping cost pain.
BillyBag2

Post by BillyBag2 »

P1040666 by billybag2, on Flickr

I got an extra pin header off ebay. Forgot one was with the flie. Ordered three X M50-3000545 from RS (UK) 6810692. I though the sockets would wiegh more but each part is about 0.17gms each. Also ordered some 30awg single core "wrapping" wire, which I hope to solder.

I think I will mount the socket under the flie. This gived good access for what I want to do, will be short resistant, and will not foul the battery.

Just to recap I am looking for inflight SPI . So I think the 10 way will be fine. I can choose to root JTAG/I2C upward later if required.
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

Nice! I'm getting really curious about what you are doing. Want to share? or maybe it is classified... :)
BillyBag2

Post by BillyBag2 »

http://forum.bitcraze.se/viewtopic.php? ... t=10#p3389

Still a lot of potential show stoppers. Thats the main reason for a plug/socket.