Crazyflie broken arm fix - 3d print

Discussions and questions about the Crazyflie Nano Quadcopter
petr
Beginner

Crazyflie broken arm fix - 3d print

Post by petr »

On the second flight of the Crazyflie one of the arms snapped off.

I created a 3D model that reinforces the current arms and allows a snug enough fit for broken arms to be supported as well.

Currently the design is a little on the heavy side, or I have my settings wrong, so it does affect flight performance, but at least I got the little guy flying.

Here is the STL:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:95216

Petr
Snap of the fixed Crazyflie
Snap of the fixed Crazyflie
OpenSCAD rendering of the 3D print model for supporting broken arms for Crazyflie
OpenSCAD rendering of the 3D print model for supporting broken arms for Crazyflie
foosel
Expert

Re: Crazyflie broken arm fix - 3d print

Post by foosel »

Great work! I added it to the list of 3d printed addons on the wiki.

With how much infill did you print this frame? Maybe you can play with perimeter count and infill to lower the weight a bit. If I see this correctly in the model the motor mounts have closed buttons? Careful with that, that will lead to the motors not having a place to go when hit on the propeller side (e.g. during an impact flipped upside down) and might lead to impacted axle syndrome. Have you though about designing it more like a bumper kind of frame around the edges of the board you just snap on so you don't need that much material?
Also: AR.Drone 2.0 (RC-enabled thanks to self-soldered MiruMod) and Hubsan X4 H107
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

I have put up another way that works pretty well to fix broken PCB arms in the troubleshooting section.
edwardjennings66
Beginner

Post by edwardjennings66 »

Can’t wait to give this a try. Oh wait, the arm broke? Maybe the material you used was not strong enough, man. Anyways, do you think nylon filament like this http://www.3d2print.net/shop/3d-printer ... -filament/ is strong enough for this Crazyflie model?