OpenPilot firmware ported to Crazyflie

Firmware/software/electronics/mechanics
webbbn
Beginner

OpenPilot firmware ported to Crazyflie

Post by webbbn »

I'm one of the OpenPilot (http://www.openpilot.org) developers, and I've been following this project from the start. I've been interested in micro/nano quads for a while, and the Crazyflie peaked my interest. Of course, the fact that it uses similar hardware to what we use on OpenPilot makes it especially attractive.

I haven't had a whole lot of time since I received my Crazyflie, but I finally got the CC3D firmware ported to the Crazyflie.

You can see more details on the OpenPilot forums: http://forums.openpilot.org/topic/32438 ... -nanoquad/
tobias
Bitcraze

Re: OpenPilot firmware ported to Crazyflie

Post by tobias »

Very neat! Would love to try the OpenPilot CC3D firmware on the Crazyflie as I'm a big fan of OpenPilot. Can I access the code somewhere, from the OpenPilot git repository maybe?
webbbn
Beginner

Post by webbbn »

I'll be pushing it soon. Just cleaning some things up and creating a settings file that should pre-configure it. I"m also adding a module for the power management unit.

At the moment I"m trying to decide what protocol to use for the radio. Currently it's simple protocol that I programmed into my Devo Tx, so it is probably only useful to me. I'll probably port the Crazyflie protocol to it so that it will be usable with the USB dongle.
webbbn
Beginner

Post by webbbn »

I should add that currently it only works with the OpenPilot bootloader, which you need to flash via SWD. That's not too hard, since the SWD pins are exposed on the expansion connector, but it's not as easy as flashing a firmware.

I haven't looked into how hard it would be to flash the firmware with the Crazyflie bootloader. I suspect it would not be too hard if the bootloaders are in the same portion of flash.
webbbn
Beginner

Post by webbbn »

I added support for the charger circuit and for reading the battery voltage, and pushed the code to the OpenPIlot repository.

It's also flying much better now.

http://forums.openpilot.org/topic/32438 ... /?p=254312
ali
Beginner

Post by ali »

I had a hard time finding the repo, but I finally did it. To save others the trouble, here is how you clone it:

Code: Select all

git clone git://git.openpilot.org/OpenPilot.git --branch brian/crazyflie
After that you can build it like this:

make crazyflie
I haven't gotten around to actually flashing it, but I'll post my progress if anyone is interested.

Cheers,

Ali
moguli
Beginner

Post by moguli »

Hi Ali,

Now the branch "brian/crazyflie" was gone.
How can I download it to make?

ali wrote:I had a hard time finding the repo, but I finally did it. To save others the trouble, here is how you clone it:

git clone git://git.openpilot.org/OpenPilot.git --branch brian/crazyflie
After that you can build it like this:

make crazyflie
I haven't gotten around to actually flashing it, but I'll post my progress if anyone is interested.

Cheers,

Ali
chad
Expert

Post by chad »

moguli wrote:Now the branch "brian/crazyflie" was gone.
How can I download it to make?
I just had a look at the OpenPilot repository and indeed it looks like brian's branch is gone. You might have better luck getting status on this code if you contact Brian or OpenPilot directly, or post in their forum - especially since it's been nearly a year since Ali's post here...
Crazyflier - my CF journal...
4x Crazyflie Nano (1.0) 10-DOF + NeoPixel Ring mod.
3x Crazyflie 2.0 + Qi Charger and LED Decks.
Raspberry Pi Ground Control.
Mac OS X Dev Environment.
Walkera Devo7e, ESky ET6I, PS3 and iOS Controllers.
poizone

Post by poizone »

But this is version controlled, are you sure the branch isn't in the history? I'm about to go diving for it in the old commits.
One day our flies will drown out the sun in an autonomous Skynet of whirring motors and blinking lights.
chad
Expert

Post by chad »

poizone wrote:But this is version controlled, are you sure the branch isn't in the history? I'm about to go diving for it in the old commits.
Indeed. I did a quick commit comments search but didn't find anything. The repo has a lot of commits and I didn't have (nor want to take) the time to go mining. That's why I suggested contacting the branch's author. But... if you find the branch, awesome! I'm sure moguli and others will be grateful.
Crazyflier - my CF journal...
4x Crazyflie Nano (1.0) 10-DOF + NeoPixel Ring mod.
3x Crazyflie 2.0 + Qi Charger and LED Decks.
Raspberry Pi Ground Control.
Mac OS X Dev Environment.
Walkera Devo7e, ESky ET6I, PS3 and iOS Controllers.