attach temp/pressure/rh sensor to crazyflie 2.0

Firmware/software/electronics/mechanics
sensor
Beginner

attach temp/pressure/rh sensor to crazyflie 2.0

Post by sensor »

Hi,

I want to get a crazyflie 2.0 and attach a temp/pressure/humidity sensor (http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/TPH-Bo ... ath=25_125) to it. (note: this might sound slightly familiar because about a year ago, I asked something similar regarding the crazyflie 1.0, but never got around to pursuing it, but am now definitely more interested since no soldering is involved!)

Here is some of the info I garnered from the SeeedStudio web page regarding the TPH board::
"TPH-board is only 3.3 volt compatible. Sensors are connected through the I2C/TWI with the easy Grove-header. Pull-up resistors are available on the TPH-board, but if undesired you can disconnect them through the cut-trace on the back."

I am not an engineer and wanted to make sure I order the right things initally, so I can connect it all. Based on the info on the TPH board above, do you think I need to order anything else in order to attach this TPH sensor to the Crazyflie 2.0? I see these things listed but not sure if I need any/some of these things:

1. debug adapter kit
2. breakout expansion board
3. prototyping expansion board
4. male expansion connector pack

Please, those in the know, fill me in as to what you recommend I need to make this assemblage happen. (note: i hope the 3.3V spec isn't an issue).

thanks for any advice,
steve
tobias
Bitcraze

Re: attach temp/pressure/rh sensor to crazyflie 2.0

Post by tobias »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Having a quick glance at it I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work. The sensors probably works at 3.0V as well but it might be wise to check it up. Also there is already a better pressure sensor on the CF2 so the interesting part is the temperature and humidity. (The on board pressure sensor also has temp sensor but as the PCB gets hot it doesn't measure the real air temp).

To hook it up the CF2 I would get the prototype board (and you might need to solder to that board). A Crazyradio is a must to flash your code and to connect it to a PC.
sensor
Beginner

Post by sensor »

Thanks Tobias!

Glad to hear there is already a pressure sensor on the CF2. I can compare values with the P sensor on the combination TPH sensor that I want to attach.

You mention I should get the prototyping expansion board and connect the TPH sensor (maybe soldering) to it. So the prototyping expansion board simply attaches (clicks in) to the CF2? I don't need to buy any additional "connectors"?

Also thinking I should get Crazyradio PA for the additional range (out to 1km LOS).

How does one actually control the flying of the CF2? Through an Android app?

thanks much,
Steve
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

I don't need to buy any additional "connectors"?
No, you get the headers you need in the CF2 kit. Some info here.

Anroid app is a bit difficult to pilot it with. With the Crazyradio PA you can use a joystick connected to you computer which you can log your sensor values at the same time.

The difficult part might be to write the software to read your sensor data but if you are familiar with I2C communication and such it should be to hard.
sensor
Beginner

Post by sensor »

Thanks Tobias for the link on connecting boards. Do you have a recommendation as to where to get the right type (and what is the best type) of joystick system? And where could I read up on the I2C communication you mention? Do you recommend working in Linux OS? I've got a Win8 laptop, but I'm thinking I could make it dual boot.

thanks,
Steve
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

As for joystick/gamepad it depends a bit on what OS you will be using. I would recommend xbox360/one controller for windows and PS3/PS4 for Linux as they are high quality and easiest to setup. Else more or less any joystick that can be used by the OS can be used.

You can always start with the virtual machine and try out linux before you decide to dual boot.