Crazyflie 2.0 Tipping forward when fpv added?!

Post here to get support
ArthurA
Beginner

Crazyflie 2.0 Tipping forward when fpv added?!

Post by ArthurA »

Hey guys,
So today I got around to soldering together the fpv system that I bought for my CF2, similar to owmdunkley's setup. I am pleased to report its working great, with 0 noise or anything, even when the motors are on 100% ;) The only thing is that when I throttle up the motors and try to acually fly, the flie's front motors give more power than the back ones, causing it to flip over and not take off. It is not a weight issue (I have taken the fpv system in my hand while I throttle up, but it still wildly tips). Because of this, I think it must be something to do with the voltage drop after the front two motors in the circuit causing the back two to get less power??? Does anyone have any ideas???
Call_me_a_Cab

Re: Crazyflie 2.0 Tipping forward when fpv added?!

Post by Call_me_a_Cab »

Could we have a look at the circuit you've made to power the FPV setup?

Will probably help.
ArthurA
Beginner

Post by ArthurA »

Ok, so here are some photos I took of the circuit, along with my shitty unskilled "circuit diagram" :o
EDIT: Probably should link to the set. They shipped a slightly different transmitter to the one listed, so thats why my wiring is different.
How its connected to the flie:
flie.jpg
The Step Up regulator connected to the transmitter, 2 photos, the ground on the step up is a passthrough:
trans-step-other.jpg
trans-step.jpg
The transmitter connected to the cam; the voltage and ground on the transmitter are passthroughs
trans-cam.jpg
My shitty not-proper diagram.
diagram.jpg
Call_me_a_Cab

Post by Call_me_a_Cab »

Tipping would suggest IMU involvement, how is the telemetry in the client?

Maybe could be current related also? What is the FPV rig drawing when running/transmitting?
ArthurA
Beginner

Post by ArthurA »

It would be drawing about 95mw.

The IMU is working fine, so thats not the issue...
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

It might be that VCC is overloaded. Have you been able to measure the current consumption to the FPV rig? A pretty easy test would be to disconnect just the VCC cable and fly with the FPV system off to test if it is the same behavior.
Call_me_a_Cab

Post by Call_me_a_Cab »

tobias wrote:It might be that VCC is overloaded. Have you been able to measure the current consumption to the FPV rig? .
Checking with a meter set to Amps between VCC and step up VIN (instead of the wire) would be a good shout.

As a thought... (I'm not sure, maybe Tobias could insight?) what about taking power from vcc and VUSB?

Also, did I see that your transmitter can run between 3V - 5V? What about doing away with the step up altogether?

Warning - These are thing I would try but I am not qualified or trained in Electronics so Please heed at your own risk :?
arnaud
Bitcraze

Post by arnaud »

Actually (correct me if I am wrong Tobias ; -) this kind of circuit should be connected to VCOM, VCOM is the battery voltage after the power management chip, this is from this voltage that VCC is generated. Getting a lot of current from VCC is not advised, it has a 150mA regulator and the CPU alone will takes at least 40mA.
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

Yes the best thing would be to use a VCOM if the step up can handle an input of 5v when the output should be 5v.
ArthurA
Beginner

Post by ArthurA »

Thanks I'll try that stuff on the weekend when I have time and I can borrow a multimeter.