[Hover Mode] Testing and setting Parameters

Firmware/software/electronics/mechanics
Smitty79
Beginner

Re: [Hover Mode] Testing and setting Parameters

Post by Smitty79 »

Okay, so i'm new to using python and am stumped

I am running the virtual machine on one computer and have another running python in windows 7 with the crazyradio and wireless xbox controller plugged into it.

I go the phiamo Crazyflie PC client running on the computer and have flashed the phiamo firmware that I created on the vm but I can't seem to get it to work.

In the client i have configured the xbox controller buttons for the hover mode but can't get it to work.

Any ideas what i'm doing wrong.

Thanks
10DOF Crazyflie, Wireless Xbox360 Controller
Raspberry Pi Base Station with ADAFRUIT INDUSTRIES RGB NEGATIVE 16X2 LCD + KEYPAD KIT
rmirwin2

Post by rmirwin2 »

Hello Smitty!
I'm wondering exactly what you're observing in the client. In the Parameters tab, for example, do you observe the "mode=0" and "debug=1" parameters? If so,, are you able to toggle the "mode" switch using the "Hover" button designated in your controller's configuration?
Let us hear from you!
Rich
VGer's v1.7.1 frame, 10DOF Crazyflie, Wireless Xbox360 Controller, Virtual Machine on VMware/Windows 7
Smitty79
Beginner

Post by Smitty79 »

Thanks for responding Rich,

Okay so in my client under the Parameters tab i don't see anywhere where is says "mode=0" or "debug=1"

Am I creating the firmware correct?
-in the VM under the terminal I go to the phiamo/crazyflie-firmware folder and then type "make CLOAD=1 DEBUG=0 (have also tryed 1)

Thanks for the help
10DOF Crazyflie, Wireless Xbox360 Controller
Raspberry Pi Base Station with ADAFRUIT INDUSTRIES RGB NEGATIVE 16X2 LCD + KEYPAD KIT
rmirwin2

Post by rmirwin2 »

Hello Smitty!
If you're not seeing those parameters it's most likely because your local directory has yet to be updated with codes from phiamo's area in the Repository. You'll find it most convenient to use the other tools included with the VM as I mentioned very briefly here: http://forum.bitcraze.se/viewtopic.php? ... t=20#p1633. Have a look there and PM me if you need help!
Rich
VGer's v1.7.1 frame, 10DOF Crazyflie, Wireless Xbox360 Controller, Virtual Machine on VMware/Windows 7
juvinski
Beginner

Post by juvinski »

Hi guys,

Amazing work, contraz.
I need a little help.
I received this week my CF and I started to fly and I'm working on another micro camera on it.
I found this thread and I follow all procedures, but I can't hover.
When I try the hover, the CF start to go up - if is around 50cm when I start the hover function it's start to go up until loses the communication with the radio, what I'm doing wrong?
Thanks
rmirwin2

Post by rmirwin2 »

Hello juvinsky,
Not sure how to explain that result using the latest Hover mode firmware and client. Anyone else seeing that?
You may want to note the "thrust" value reported in the log display during the climb. Is thrust stuck on a single value like 60000?
Just curious!
Rich
romolz
Beginner

Post by romolz »

Hi board,
I need just a little bit of help please. To be extra sure I've re-cloned right now both the phiamo's firmware and cfclient. Still I cannot see any debug flag on stabilizer's parameters. Would you please tell me what I'm doing wrong here? I can only see "mode" set to 0, but no sign of debug.
Thanks a lot
romolz
Beginner

Post by romolz »

Ok got it, I had no idea I had to pull a particular branch (a readme file on the repository could be of much help for the community).

Now my quad simply starts going up and up where no quad has gone before and tries to hover directly on earth's lower orbit, is there
something that needs to be calibrated before using the hover mode? And also: is there a post with a description about the PIDs used?

I'm browsing through the forum but I didn't find anything yet to understand how the hovering has been modeled.

Thank you.

Edit: nevermind I was able to figure out the structure, now I just need to understand why my CF tries to commit suicide
in the cold skies of sideral space :)
rmirwin2

Post by rmirwin2 »

Hello romolz,

Yea, navigation is tricky and you have to keep an eye on the branches you're interested in and watch for new ones.

Is your 'Flie slowing rising or heading up quickly? What are typical Thrust/Hover values when you see this?

On my equipment with the current firmware build (branch hover_mode_pid, commit d58116d) I sometimes see a slow altitude increase, but it seems intermittent and may be related to drift at the instant the "Hover" button is pressed. In the current build, I have the best success when I'm manually hovering the 'Flie. Clicking the "Hover" button then, I seem to get a smooth hovering action but any XYZ velocities seem preserved. I can't adjust the height then using Throttle, but can move it around at fixed altitude and null out XY velocities to get a stable hover.

In some previous builds, if one set the 'Flie on the floor, Hover would often cause it to "take off". Sometimes, usually in the first few times "Hover" was clicked after connecting, the 'Flie would max out the thrust value in that process and I'd have to click it out of hover rapidly to avoid an inner space annihilation. After that it would behave better and even hover after locking an XY position pretty well.

I think Phillip's adjusting much behind the scenes in each commit. The code is pretty complex so I sure appreciate the effort very much!

Rich
mrb0y
Beginner

Post by mrb0y »

I'm in the same boat as every one else as far as I can tell. I cloned the repositories for the phiamo client and firmware and then built the firmware and uploaded to CF. I then run the client and set the hover mode button in the controller mapping. I goto fly the CF and there is no indication that I have entered into hover mode on the client. The CF does not look to be "hovering" and also there is no debug mode showing in the parameters tab?