Exploring Crazyflie

Discussions and questions about the Crazyflie Nano Quadcopter
HallMark
Beginner

Exploring Crazyflie

Post by HallMark »

Hello Friends,

I was checking out some copter designs and landed here. I saw some video and this nano copter looks amazing, small but powerful.
I was studying http://wiki.bitcraze.se/ page and I saw there are total three parts for this Nano Copter - Crazyflie (Actual Copter), Crazyradio (remote to control Crazyflie) and third one is Bitcraze VM (this seems some virtual machine)

Now I wonder how can I control Copter with my PC ? don't I need some remote?

Regards,
HallMark
Surrender
Expert

Re: Exploring Crazyflie

Post by Surrender »

Welcome here HallMark,

To control the copter with your PC:
- Android simulated gamepad (DroidMote)
- PS3 or XBox Controller

Control the copter without a pc:
- eSky transmitter (30-50€)
- Android Crazyflie Client

Hopefully this helps.
HallMark
Beginner

Post by HallMark »

Surrender wrote:Welcome here HallMark,

To control the copter with your PC:
- Android simulated gamepad (DroidMote)
- PS3 or XBox Controller

Control the copter without a pc:
- eSky transmitter (30-50€)
- Android Crazyflie Client

Hopefully this helps.
Hi Surrender,

Thank you for quick reply. I can see there are different devices to control Nano Copter. But I can understand that there may be different devices to control copter but main part is PC interface. Remote is mainly connected with PC and again Crazyremote is used to send commands to Crazyflie.
Surrender
Expert

Post by Surrender »

The pc is acting as a router/proxy.

Remote Controller (PS3,XBox,DroidMote) -> Your PC (Forwarding control data from remote controller)-> CrazyRadio sends commands-> CrazyFlie will react

If you want to control it without a pc use android phone & crazyradio and if you want only the CF and a controller then use eSky transmitter.
HallMark
Beginner

Post by HallMark »

Surrender wrote:The pc is acting as a router/proxy.

Remote Controller (PS3,XBox,DroidMote) -> Your PC (Forwarding control data from remote controller)-> CrazyRadio sends commands-> CrazyFlie will react

If you want to control it without a pc use android phone & crazyradio and if you want only the CF and a controller then use eSky transmitter.
Perfect !

Now most of my doubt is clear about the functionality and supporting device. Thank you Surrender.
Surrender
Expert

Post by Surrender »

Great! No problem. :D

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
absoloodle37

Post by absoloodle37 »

HallMark,
Welcome. In case you didn't know, the next lot of CrazyFlies will be in stock by early July (hopefully).

I recommend you buy a few extra motors and propellers when you get your kit. Some Crazyflie pilots are better than others :)

Also, you'll need a soldering iron and you'll need to know how to solder. I taught myself how to solder on YouTube. Hint: Don't let a brand new soldering tip get too hot without melting some solder on it first. Any heated soldering tip will quickly oxidize unless it's covered with melted solder to block out the oxygen. An oxidized soldering tip won't transfer heat very well and it's very frustrating to work with.

Otherwise, assembly is pretty easy. I got my CF flying with my wireless xbox controller and PC adapter and within a couple hours. I can fly my CF with either my Macbook Air or with my Raspberry Pi.

Anyways, good luck!